Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building The Perfect Burger 🍔

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building The Perfect Burger 🍔

Some of us were talking earlier about what is the best way to build a burger. I did not want to hijack SUWYC for this discussion. I have almost 10 years of corporate training (same company) under my belt and this is how I do it.

From the bottom up:

Bottom bun, toasted

Base sauce (mayo, mustard, etc) note I did not say ketchup 🤣
    Veggies (shredded lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, etc)
    Burger patty
    Cheese of choice
    Bacon (if using)
    Specialty topping (if it’s a mushroom burger, mushrooms go here; if it’s a teriyaki burger, grilled pineapple goes here)
    Specialty sauce (if it’s a teriyaki burger, sauce goes here)
    Top bun, toasted

Same train of thought for grilled chicken, too.

WayneT hoovarmin Richard Chrz

If using avocado, mash it up so it doesn't shoot out like a slip n slide!

Comment

Thanks, I’ll have to try this. I’ve been dumping everything on the patty for 50+ years, so I’m looking forward to a huge jump in burger quality without any extra work or expense. God I love this place!

Comment

• Billy Van
        Billy Van commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree 100%! Been making burgers like you forever. Getting ready to grill some tonight on the Weber and gonna do it SheilaAnn's way.

This is what I try to do. It is important to understand the veggies underneath the burger usually prevent grease from soaking the bun through and causing the burger to fall apart.

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        That's also dependent on the type of bun. Soft squishy white bread type buns are more apt to get grease laden than something a bit firmer. But a firmer bun my become more difficult to bite through.

The bun topic may need it's own thread.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Bkhuna Brioche . Fight me. 🤣

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Ciabatta! Pretzel! Brioche!

Since I am basically a carnivore (green leafy veggies taste very bitter to me; I also don't like pickles) I skip the veggies and just put, from the bottom: bun, sauce (and good ketchup is OK, but not catsup), meat, cheese, specialty stuff like bacon and/or green chilies and/or onion straws and/or pulled pork and/or an egg, then more sauce and a top bun. Bun is toasted with butter.

Comment

• Billy Van
        Billy Van commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, what's the difference between ketchup and catsup? I thought it was only the spelling. BTW, love that '58 Buick!

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        The cat in catsup tastes gamey to me. The Buick is a cool car, turns heads wherever I drive it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3QqkP7j.png
Views:	347
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	1293987

I like your method. However, when it comes to pickles, I like them on the bottom right after the sauce and before the patty. I also like to dry them off a bit in case the juice somehow makes it through the protective mayo layer.

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        The pattie to filler ratio in this illustration is way off.

Thanks for posting this SheilaAnn . Reading this and seeing Attjack ‘s diagram makes a believer out of me. It’s not that I think the traditional ‘corporate way’ is always best, this just seems to make structural sense to me. If this isn’t already a sticky, maybe Huskee should give it consideration.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Good idea, stickied.

We've been flipping the burgers (WITH CHEESE) upside down as they come off the grill, so the bottom bun is immediately protected by the cheese.

We then put the top bun immediately onto the top of the (no-cheese-side) burger for transport.

This method prevents the cheese from coming off with the top bun when people grab a burger and open it up to apply condiments. Strictly a practical matter, with the bonus of no soggy bottom.

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
        WillTravelForFood commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn - if you make cheeseburgers but just place the patties onto a platter for later assembly, the dreaded CheeseLift(tm) is not an issue for you. But if you assemble meat+bun straight off the grill to the table, CheeseLift is a real problem.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        CheeseLift? Do we need a support group for that?

• WayneT
        WayneT commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, this makes AHOALOS too. Time to go forth and buy more burger stuff.

It's not a burger, but Burger King officially puts ketchup on their hot dogs

(they also put the patty directly on the bottom bun, per the photo)
      (
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ChnnbdrW0AAQTto?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1294013

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s why I don’t eat Burger King…. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You had me at "not say ketchup". 😍

Comment

• WayneT
        WayneT commented
        Editing a comment
        Ketchup and burgers. Mac n’ cheese. Apple pie and ice cream. Chocolate and bananas. They are all matches made in heaven. In fact, I think they are mentioned in the Fourteen Commandments.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope, not fer me. HFCS mixed with CS, a sugar cocktail that feeds cancer. I’m workin rill hard at not doin that.

The two main things I try to keep in mind are:

1. Have something on the bun to keep liquid from soaking in. This is usually mayonnaise or a mayonnaise based sauce. A piece of lettuce can work as well but I generally don't like lettuce on a burger.

2. Avoid two slippery things next to each other. So don't put the pickles right next to the tomatoes.

Lately I have been leaning towards simpler burgers. There is a time and a place for a bunch of toppings but it is also hard to beat a classic cheeseburger made as minimally as possible.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I avoid pickles all together, I generally add dill pickle chips. Admittedly not a fan of all the extra juice that comes with a pickle, on the burger, or even on the plate. But, I know I’m likely in the minority. I’ve likely been ordering burgers sans pickles for 35 years.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        I hate pickles on a sandwich (warm pickles). My pickles are always on the side so they are still cold. I only mentioned pickles in the veggie section because people put pickles on burgers. Like jimmy buffet. 🤪🍔

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        Richard Chrz I usually dry my pickle slices between some paper towels to get rid of as much juice as I can.

No culinary training, I just built mine by how I like to eat one. So, this is by no means the right way, just my "current" way. Likely will evolve.

My standard is Both top and bottom buns buttered and toasted (grilled). On the bottom bun apply mustard and mayo, it seems to help prevent a lot of the bun from getting soggy by burger goodness in turn helping the bun keep structure, then patty with cheese (this is often doubled), if I have access to good tomatoes, they are sliced and on the cheese, the cheese helps hold them, from there I top with chopped lettuce and purple onion. I find pushing down on the top bun to eat, holds the lettuce and onion in place, and when I take a bite, I’m not taking a leaf of lettuce, the tomato slices stays in place, and the mayo mustard just is good in each bite.

Click image for larger version  Name:	90707AD7-2418-42CA-A53F-D853394BEC61.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.23 MB ID:	1294031
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; September 14, 2022, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah it’s built!

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Your burgers always look amazing!

• WayneT
        WayneT commented
        Editing a comment
        Richard needs a separate sticky topic on food presentation and picture composition. Always magazine worthy.

I make mine that way as well but when I eat any sandwich, I eat it upside down. I grab it right side up and turn it upside down as I start to eat it. Weird?? A friend of mine was head of marketing for a southern fast food hamburger chain and told me they layered a burger in a certain way so that your taste buds were involved in a certain order for the best flavor. But I messed the system up by turning the sandwich upside down. SheilaAnn does it matter or was I told a story?
      Last edited by Purc; September 14, 2022, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Whutta you think?

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        there are two popular chains who build an upside down burger that I'm aware of. While the tastebud science makes sense, I think you should build a burger like Sheila says but then eat it upside down not serve it that way. Then the juices have less time to soak the bun I eat so fast it doesn't matter and I do it very similar to how she said.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Purc I do not think you are wrong with the "science" of building a burger/sandwich. I remember I had a manager trainee and he goes on to explain how the tastebuds work with the fat in mayo, the acid in mustard or tomatoes, etc. it was fascinating.
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs at home or out, when my bottom bun gets, soggy, I flip it!

It was no accident. I did cook the crispiest skin I have ever done on a yard bird, dang!
      Apologize fer crashin a burger party.
      Last edited by FireMan; September 14, 2022, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Strange looking burger my friend, but I’d eat it!

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Now you are talking, Chicken Burger, no bun

I’m a simple man.

Bun
      Cheese
      Burger
      Bun

The ingredients for a salad are best left for the salad, not as a topping for a burger.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here